It’s almost National Lemon Meringue Pie Day, celebrated annually on August 15. The holiday is dedicated to a pie that has been around since the late 18th century and through various points in American history was either an extremely popular pie or a pie that few people thought of making. It’s a great way to use some of those lemons growing in the garden. If you have a great lemon meringue pie recipe, please share with us!
Some lemony factoids:
- Lemon trees can produce up to 600 pounds of lemons per year.
- Lemons have been cultivated in the Mediterranean since the first century.
- Approximately 95% of the entire U.S lemon crop is grown in Arizona and California.
- Sailors used lemons and limes to help prevent scurvy.
- Pies can be traced all the way back to 6,000 B.C.
- The Romans published the first pie recipe in history.
Growing lemons and other citrus is pretty easy in our environment. If you see something nibbling at the
Something eating your lemons? This time of year, it’s most likely rats. Learn more about managing these nocturnal critters.