What in the world is garden sanitation? It’s simply the removal of plant material that can harbor pests and disease. By removing debris from your garden, you reduce the ability for pests and pathogens to negatively impact your garden next spring.
- Remove all badly diseased or pest infested plants, trash, weeds, and dying plant parts.
- Dispose of the disease infested plant trimmings immediately to prevent them from becoming a source of new infections. Don’t add them to your compost pile.
- Remove weeds to prevent their spread.
- Remove other debris around the garden to prevent overwintering sites for insect pests.
- Clean garden tools and equipment used in other areas to avoid introducing pathogens, nematodes, or weeds.