Protect your pets!

It’s National Pet Day and time to think about our beloved animals as they roam around the garden. Are there possible hazards lurking? Pesticides that may harm them? Here are some things to consider:

Weed and feed products for grasses are usually applied across the entire surface of the lawn. Those tiny particles contain fertilizer and weed killer that slowly break down releasing the chemicals. For a period of time after application, the pesticides used on lawns can inadvertently be ingested by your pets. Dogs and cats that wiggle or play on the lawn, then lick their fur, can swallow a tiny dose of pesticide.

Rodent bait is risky for a couple of reasons – it’s usually flavored with something like peanut butter to make it attractive to rats and mice.  And your dog!  Rodents that eat poison bait may take a week or more to die. During that time if your cat or dog kill one, they may inadvertently consume some of that poisonous bait.

Can slug or snail bait hurt your dog? Check out this video or these FAQs to learn more. 

Here’s some more information to help protect your pets:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Scroll to Top